What to do in Zacatecas
The whole town is a museum; there are three seventeenth or eighteenth century ex-monasteries near the center, several other churches from the colonial era scattered here and there, and at least half a dozen other museums, all worth visiting. Take time to stroll through the colonial center of the city -- all the ironwork is unique to each building.
Here are ten things you won't want to miss on your trip to Zacatecas:
- Cathedral - located in the center of town
- Museo Pedro Coronel - Private collection including works by Miró, Chagall, Dali, Picasso and more
- Cable car ride to the top of La Bufa
- Museo Rafael Coronel - Mexico's largest mask collection and beautiful gardens
- La Quemada - archeological site located about 1 hour from the city
- Double-decker bus tour - great way to get acquainted with the city
- Museo Zacatecano - showcases local and Huichol artwork
- Museo Francisco Goitia - contemporary art museum located in front of Plaza de la Revolucion
- Mina el Eden - tour one of the original silver mines, near the entrance to the teleferico
- Museo de arte (Abstract Art Museum) - Considered one of the most unique in Mexico
Be sure and bring comfortable shoes. You'll be walking up and down cobblestone streets and hills as you tour the city.